Chinese characters don’t come out good in permalinks. Without the Pinyin Slugs plugin activated, the example post I made for the screenshot will get a slug like this: %e6%90%9c%e7%b4%a2%e5%bc%95%e6%93%8e%e4%bc%98%e5%8c%96. With the plugin the slug automatically becomes sousuoyinqingyouhua.
Search engines such as Baidu cannot make much of the first slug, but they can handle pinyin perfectly, especially when it is written as one long string without hyphens or underscores.
It is possible to limit the amount of characters in the slug. The default is 100, which should be plenty for most.
I have decided to only support this plugin through Github. Therefore, if you have any questions, need help and/or want to make a feature request, please open an issue over at Github. You can also browse through open and closed issues to find what you are looking for and perhaps even help others.
PLEASE DO NOT POST YOUR ISSUES VIA THE WORDPRESS FORUMS
Thanks for your understanding and cooperation.
The Pinyin Slugs plugin has received the WPML Certification of Compatibility and is featured on the WPML website with the article How to Build a WordPress Website in China and Reach an International Audience.
Search for “Pinyin Slugs” and install with the Plugins > Add New back-end page.
… OR …
Follow these steps:
- Download zip file.
- Upload the zip file via the Plugins > Add New > Upload page … OR … unpack and upload with your favorite FTP client to the /plugins/ folder.
- Activate the plugin on the Plugins page.
Does Pinyin Slugs work with Simplified Chinese characters?
Yes, the plugin transforms Simplified Chinese slugs into pinyin.
Does Pinyin Slugs work with Traditional Chinese characters?
Yes, since September 2020 the plugin also can transform Traditional Chinese slugs into pinyin.
Does Pinyin Slugs work with the WP block editor?
Yes, it does, although one caveat is that to be able to see the change of slug, the post/page first needs to be saved. The same applies for edits too.
Pinyin Slugs will not auto-transform existing slugs, you will have to change them manually.
I have an issue with this plugin, where can I get support?
Please open an issue over at Github, as I will not use the support forums here on WordPress.org
Учасники та розробники
“Pinyin Slugs” — проект з відкритим вихідним кодом. В розвиток плагіну внесли свій вклад наступні учасники:Учасники
- date: September 16, 2020
- dictionary update: UniHan database using the kMandarin Reading field as pinyin phonetic keys (https://unicode.org/charts/unihan.html); with many thanks to Yun-yu Shen @ujamer
- edits in readme files and on Settings page
- date: October 29, 2018
- tested up to WP 5.0
- tested up to ClassicPress 1.0.0
- date: July 8, 2018
- tested up to WP 4.9.7
- date: March 15, 2017
- add sanitize_title filter once the file has been included as per suggestion of Polylang author @Chouby
- tidying up
- date: November 29, 2016
- remove version check
- tested up to WP 4.7
- date: August 7, 2015
- TWEAK: header settings page; only showed half logo after 2.0.3 update
- date: August 5, 2015
- changed header settings page to h1 (https://make.wordpress.org/plugins/2015/08/03/4-3-change-to-plugin-dashboard-pages/)
- show 4.3 compatibility
- date: June 19, 2015
- revert to semantic versioning
- date: April 9, 2015
- changed logos
- new banner image for WP.org Repo by Joschko Hammermann
- date: July 29, 2014
- due to non-compatibility issues with WP 4.0, complete rewrite of the plugin from the ground up
- bump minimum required WP version up to 3.8
- date: December 28, 2013
- fix reported bug that causes entire admin to be a maximum width of 48rem
- date: December 26, 2013
- tested up to WP 3.9-alpha
- settings page overhaul to better match WP 3.8 style
- change version number format
- change links
- change text domain to prepare for language packs (via Otto – http://otto42.com/el)
- compatible up to WordPress 3.7
- redo version check, min. requirement WordPress 3.6
- change Github link
- add Dutch language files
- add WPML accreditation
- separate dictionary.php file
- add Mandarin Chinese language files
- edit readme.txt and readme.md
- fix textdomain issue
- First stable release