If there is a user (or a bot) that signed up at your site this user can start to send messages to every other user.
I had some negative experiences with this and so I wrote a module that should help to block such a spam.
Buddypress Messages Spam Blocker introduces some restrictions to your users:
- New users can send messages only 24h after their registration, so you’ll have time if bot registrations have to be removed manually (modify this value using filter ‘buddypress_messages_spamblocker_newMembersWaitingPeriod’)
Their are also some more restrictions for mass mailings (mails that are sent to “friends” of the contact list are not included in this calculation):
- Users can send 6 messages maximum in 5 minutes (modify this value using filter ‘buddypress_messages_spamblocker_5m’)
- Users can send 10 messages maximum in 10 minutes (modify this value using filter ‘buddypress_messages_spamblocker_10m’)
- Users can send 20 messages maximum in 30 minutes (modify this value using filter ‘buddypress_messages_spamblocker_30m’)
- Users can send 30 messages maximum in 60 minutes (modify this value using filter ‘buddypress_messages_spamblocker_60m’)
- Users can send 35 messages maximum in 12 hours (modify this value using filter ‘buddypress_messages_spamblocker_12h’)
- Users can send 45 messages maximum in 24 hours (modify this value using filter ‘buddypress_messages_spamblocker_24h’)
- Users can send 50 messages maximum in 48 hours (modify this value using filter ‘buddypress_messages_spamblocker_48h’)
Users with the capability “edit_users” (admins etc.) have no restrictions for outgoing messages
Install, activate, and it will work.
More about me and my plugins
Since the year 1999 I do administration, customizing and programming for several forums, communities and social networks. In the year 2013 I switched from another PHP framework to WordPress.
Because not all plugins I’d like to have exist already I wrote some own plugins and I think I’ll continue to do so.
If you have the scope at forums or social networks my other modules might also be interesting for you. Just take a look at my WordPress Profile to see all my Plugins. Use them and if my work helps you to save time, earn money or just makes you happy feel free to donate – Thanks. The donation link can be found at the right sidebar next to this text.
- Upload the files to the
/wp-content/plugins/buddypress-messages-spamblocker/directory or install through WordPress directly.
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- Are there some options for the parameters or are these parameters hard coded?
At the moment they are hardcoded, you can easily chance them inside the code as you need them.
- New members
Учасники та розробники
“Buddypress Messages Spam Blocker” — проект з відкритим вихідним кодом. В розвиток плагіну внесли свій вклад наступні учасники:Учасники
- Fixing PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined function friends_get_friend_user_ids() in /wp-content/plugins/buddypress-messages-spam-blocker/buddypress-messages-spamblocker.php on line 42 => https://codex.buddypress.org/plugindev/checking-buddypress-is-active/ applied now
- Added filter for redirection url. You can uzse buddypress_messages_spamblocker_blockedURL to specify a page for redirecting a blocked user
- little code cleanup
- fixing wrong redirect url if messages slug is not “messages”
- New filter for changing waiting period for new buddypress members (buddypress_messages_spamblocker_newMembersWaitingPeriod)
- fixed little bug for different messages-module-locations (thanks to reflectgrowth)
- fixed little bug in sql statement (thanks to vizzweb)
- added filters for easy customizing of message quantity that should be able to be sent. See plugin description for details.
- users that have the capability “edit_users” have no restictions for outgoing messages
- First version.